About LB media
Luria-Bertani (LB) is a nutrient-rich liquid broth for growing bacteria. It is commonly used during cloning experiments to amplify competent bacteria. When combined with agar, LB media is also used to create LB agar plates which enable the growth of bacteria on a solid medium.
LB media recipe
The recipe below is used to prepare a 1 L LB media solution.
|Reagent||Weight / Volume|
|Yeast extract||5 grams|
|Distilled water||Up to 1 L|
How to make a 1 L LB media solution
- Weigh out 10 g tryptone, 10 g sodium chloride (NaCl) and 5 g yeast extract and add to a 1 L Duran bottle.
- Measure out approximately 900 mL of distilled water and add to the Duran bottle.
- Shake the bottle to dissolve the reagents.
- Once the reagents have fully dissolved, adjust the pH to 7.0 by using sodium hydroxide (NaOH) solution (1 N).
- Once the pH is adjusted, top up the solution to 1 L by using distilled water.
- To sterilise, autoclave the solution on a liquid cycle (20 min at 15 psi).
Storage of LB media
Store LB media at room temperature (+15oC – +25oC) or in the fridge (+4oC).
LB media is not classified as a hazardous substance.